Subject: Re: IFQ_MAXLEN: How large can it be?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/16/2006 17:05:17
On 16.11-09:35, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> > What is "RED"? What do you mean bei "output line rate"?
> > I wasn't aware I had queueing options on my output links.
> > Did you mean ALTQ? Does that work?
>
> "RED" is an output interface queueing discipline (it stands for, as I
> recall, "Random Early Drop", though the altq.conf file says "Random Early
> Detection"). Essentially, packets in an output queue are dropped with a
> probability once the queue reaches a certain length.  Yes, that's right;
> it doesnot simply drop newly-arriving packets when the queue has reached
> its maximum size.  It seems counter-intuitive, but it works better than
> the default tail-drop strategy, because it causes sending TCPs to back off
> their retransmission timers more quickly and hence avoids duplicate copies
> of packets in the queue.  (I was talking about ALTQ, but I don't see a way
> to apply that to the IP input queue, which is too bad.)

Thanks for the explanation.

> You showed four active wm interfaces in a message.  How fast are they
> running?  I know that some wm interfaces can run at gigabit speeds -- are
> you trying to do that?

wm0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex)

wm1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)

wm2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)

wm3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)

wm0 runs gigabit, this is the inwards interface which should
be able to keep up with traffic from internet an dmz, which
both are 100MBit/s

> How fast is your CPU?

Inter Xeon 2.7GHz

> What do 'top' or
> 'sysstat' show for CPU idle percentage?

Usually the cpu shows between 50% and 90% idle.
Though there may be bursts which load the CPU more.i
I never really watched it maxing out.

I'll try switching on the ip4csum,tcp4csum,udp4csum,tso4
options on the interfaces tonight and then I try to
graph the CPU load somehow.

Thanks
Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch