Subject: Re: Problems with scp against Solaris
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/14/2006 15:31:05
--------------enig8300397EDF2CF58AFB187156

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:11:11PM +0100, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>>    A long time ago (something like two years ago) I could use pscp to
>> copy files to/from my university account. Suddenly, it stopped working=
=2E
>> pscp asks for my password, I enter it, and then it just sets there..
>> Doing nothing. Until I kill it manually. WinSCP works fine, though.
>=20
> Two important things to try: run with verbose mode (-v) and tcpdump for=

> the stream. The former can help finding out which part of the connectio=
> it is hanging in and the latter might point to strange TCP problems.

This is what "scp -v ..." returns:

[---]
debug1: identity file /home/jan/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/jan/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/jan/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
[=3D=3D very long pause here =3D=3D]
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.6.1p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p1 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.9
NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20050213
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
[---]
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t testfile
        "Gee, Mudhead, everyone at More Science High has an
$ debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug1: fd 0 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 1 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 0 bytes in 3.5 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 0.0
debug1: Exit status 0

   (Yes, the "$" in there is my prompt). I know very little about ssh,
scp, etc, but to me It Looks Just Fine, apart from that instead of the
"scp -v -t testfile" command resulting in some highly exciting file
transfer, I get a fortune.

> Candidates might be path MTU, SACK blocking etc.

   You've lost me. :-)  Anyway, my gut feeling is that the problem is on
a much higher level than that. But anyone who trusts my gut feeling is a
complete moron, so I'll be quiet.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson