Subject: None
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: None <diro@nixsys.bz>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/12/2006 16:59:32
Greetings!

I have an i386 and an alpha machine connected together on their network
interfaces. I'm simulating a situation where the root partition fails on the
alpha for some reason, yet all the other partitions are okay. So, i've got
the alpha to boot from the i386 machine fine. It's just unable to mount the
root file system. I think it's a networking issue, but i can't figure out
why this setup doesn't work.

The rc.conf on the i386:

sshd=YES
rpcbind=YES
nfs_server=YES
mountd=YES
statd=YES
lockd=YES
hostname="fileserv1"
inetd=YES
defaultroute="10.0.0.2"

/etc/hosts on i386:

10.0.0.2        sombra1         sombra1
10.0.0.4        fileserv1       fileserv1

/etc/bootptab on i386:

sombra1:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=00062B00060C:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :ip=10.0.0.2:\
        :gw=10.0.0.4:\
        :hn:\
        :bf=boot.netbsd.alpha:\
        :bs=auto:\
        :rp=/home/me/sombra1/root/:\
        #:vm=rfc1048:
        :vm=auto:

/etc/exports on i386:

/home/me/sombra1/root  -mapall=root:wheel      sombra1

^- That's not actually a partition, but a directory, however it mounts fine
on the local machine via NFS.

/etc/ifconfig.tlp on i386:

inet 10.0.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0

/home/me/sombra1/root/etc/rc.conf on i386:

mysqld=YES
hostname="sombra1"
ipfilter=YES
ipmon=YES               ipmon_flags="-Dns"
rpcbind=YES
nfs_client=YES
statd=YES
lockd=YES
inetd=YES
defaultroute="10.0.0.4"
auto_ifconfig=NO
net_interfaces=""

I think i'm missing something basic with the networking setup, but i just
don't see what it is. Any ideas?

TIA

!tr