Subject: Re: problems with interface aliases.
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Mestnik <mmestnik@visi.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/30/2006 09:47:44
On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:52:37PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:41:16PM -0500, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> > An old article, but an unanswered one.
> >
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/1997/08/24/0000.html
> >
> > The fix for broadcast pkts is to pass the netmask and broadcast
> > options.  I have not tested this and there is no way to set the ?unused?
> > NetworkID.
> >
> > I have a bigger problem.  I am setting up two systems with identical
> > IPs for HA reasons.  Doing this prevents them from communication as
> > they once have, I'm ok with this.
>
> I'm sorry, why not use CARP for this? I thought HA was what it was for.

These systems are not on the same network segment, they also provide
geographical redundancy.

Still I'm wondering if the CARP project has a workaround for this?
I'm not sure if the PF causes too many changes in the TCP stack or
interface drivers of the OS, where I'm seeing this problem.

--
 *   Mike Mestnik: Junior Admin          612-395-8932           *