Subject: Re: Measuring dropped packets
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/30/2006 08:47:26
On 26.10-20:24, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=512
> >
> > I'll watch if this helps now.
>
> I would sent it even larger. If you have several wm(4) cards, I think
> you should make this at last 256 * the number of adapters.

I've set net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen to 1024 on friday. Then, during the
weekend, the machine seemed to forward less and less packets,
until sunday evening, when it stopped completely forwarding.

There was no Message on the console, in the kernel message buffer
or in the logs. The machine just was stuck and didn't respond
to network packets or even the keyboard anymore.

What could be the reason for this?
And, more importantly for me, how can I prevent this from occuring
again or how can I measure this slow dying?

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch