Subject: Re: Appropriate byte counting, revisited.
To: None <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/13/2006 17:39:02

> > >abc.aggressive, maybe?
> > >the current description ("Enable RFC3465 Appropriate Byte Counting")
> > >in the patch is not quite right.
> >
> > Yes, I can see that. I think we should have:
> > net.inet.tcp.abc=1
> > net.inet.tcp.abc.agressive=0
>
> I think that "abc" is too obtuse, although "rfc3465" is even less user friendly.

while "abc" without a context might be obtuse,
what "net.inet.tcp.abc" means is clear.
(at least, it's clear to me.  otoh, i can't remember what "rfc3465" is. :-)

> What is the variable in the code called - it ought to have (much the) same
> name.

it can be the same as whatever sysctl name is.

> Also I'm not sure it is a good idea (valid ?) to have both "net.inet.tcp.abc"
> and "net.inet.tcp.abc.agressive".

unless anyone objects, i'll rename the sysctl as the following
and commit.  it's consistent with net.inet.tcp.sack.

	net.inet.tcp.abc.enable=1
	net.inet.tcp.abc.aggressive=1

YAMAMOTO Takashi