Subject: Re: NFSv4 support (was: Host access philosophy (Was: restricting NFS (and associated services) to one IP address))
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/10/2006 12:28:32
--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:44:01AM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 07:48:13PM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > I think NFS4 isn't the only answer though. There's AFS too, ...
>=20
> I don't know AFS very well. Why was the BSD version never integrated
> in e.g. NetBSD or FreeBSD? It seems to be in the Linux 2.6.18 kernel.
>=20

https://lists.stacken.kth.se/pipermail/arla-drinkers/2006-June/003937.html

Arla has recently grown block-cache support on OS X, and should
be able to be adapted to work on the other platforms Arla
supports as well.

OpenAFS is the most desirable client, but it doesn't have completed
support for NetBSD.

Linux's in-tree AFS support is (hmm, how to put this nicely) -- bad.
It doesn't have a client-side cache, it doesn't do authentication
at all, etc, etc.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--