Subject: Re: isolated "internal" network?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/14/2006 10:32:36
On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:23:41AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I'm thinking that something should read any packets that end up
> getting sent and discard them; this feels cleaner than having them
> fill up in a queue and get dropped.

It seems to me that if there are no readers attached, if tap does not
already drop packets immediately, without queueing them, it certainly
should.

Copying the packets out to userspace so they can be discarded is a huge
waste of memory bandwidth and would also cause pointless context switches.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart