Subject: Re: Intel em Driver and NetBSD wm
To: Darrin B.Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/30/2006 15:55:31
--=-=-=

"Darrin B.Jewell" <dbj@netbsd.org> writes:

>>The reason for my inquiry is, NetBSD-CURRENT loads wm for the 'Intel(R)
>>PRO/1000 PL Network Connection - PN LOM-82573L' in my thinkpad x60s,
>>pretending to work, but just refusing to send or receive anything. BTW
>>the 82573 isn't listed in the wm manpage - correctly, but it tries to do
>>something it cannot.
>
> I'm having a similar problem with a a wm
>  "Intel i82573E IAMT 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 3"
> connected to a makphy:
>  "Marvell 88E1111 Gigabit PHY, rev. 2"
> which I'm looking into.

I am havning the same problem with=20

  wm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Intel i82573L Gigabit Ethernet, rev. 0
  wm0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16 (irq 11)
  wm0: PCI-Express bus
  wm0: 256 word (8 address bits) SPI EEPROM
  wm0: Ethernet address [redacted]
  makphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Marvell 88E1111 Gigabit PHY, rev. 2
  makphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000b=
aseT-FDX, auto

plus sometimes it doesn't read the eeprom on boot.

> It seems to work correctly at 1000baseT, but not at 100baseTX.  So
> far, I think that the mac is not properly auto configuring itself from
> the phy as per the CTRL_ASDE bit, since when its not working, the
> registers in the phy and the mac disagree on the speed.

I don't have any 1000baseT things to connect to.  Maybe I'll try
someone's mac...

> Dheeraj's port of the openbsd driver works, although they don't use
> ASDE and instead clobber the speed in the mac manually.

Can you point me to that?

> Have you filed a bug report on this issue?

I haven't, mostly because I feel I haven't dug into it as much as I
should myself.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--