Subject: Re: telnetd work around for Windows TELNET?
To: Scott Presnell <srp@tworoads.net>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/15/2006 12:34:17
Hi, to everyone who has replied either privately or publicly to me
telling
me that TELNET is 1. not a security issue under certain circumstances
or 2.
to use putty, thank you, but you are totally missing the point of my
initial post.

Neither of those are the issue here.  What I am trying to get at is that
the w2k/xp TELNET client seems to react differently with the NetBSD
telnetd
than the say Leen0x telnetd.  I also stated in the initial email that
I was
suggesting to w2k/xp users to use a different client or 'unset crlf'
via their client.
So for those of you who replied with that information, you're not
reading.

As I said in my previous post I do not have access to Windows, so I
am going
off of what I can examine from logs and what others who use Windows
can tell me.

Forcing complete strangers to use putty (or any other telnet client)
is out
of the question.  I've been suggesting it since I was first informed
of the
problem.  It may be the case that these people do not have the
ability to
install software on the computer they are using, but for what ever
reason it
is, I want them be able to enjoy learning about NetBSD without having to
deal with this petty issue.

So far I've not really heard any information that would lead me to
believe that
changes (either by configuration or source modification) or stty
settings would
get around the issue of the w2k/xp telnet client sending, seemingly
at random,
double carriage returns.

I've tried using -l for 'kludge' mode, but that doesn't seem resolve
the issue
according to w2k/xp users.  I've also tried using various stty
settings, similar
to the defaults with leen0x (according to users), but that seems to
give random
double return behaviour.

Yes, this is Windows client issue, but how difficult would it be for
us to accommodate
it?