Subject: Re: gethostbyname_r() ?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/17/2006 19:22:49
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> These days one is supposed to be using getaddrinfo/getnameinfo.

... which is still blocking, even if it is thread safe, so Tor would
still need to use helper threads or processes to ensure that the main
event loop didn't block.

Tor actually tries to use getaddrinfo() if it is available, in
preference to gethostbyname_r() or gethostbyname().  I didn't notice
that when I wrote my previous message.  If we have a working thread-safe
getaddrinfo(), then pkgsrc could just patch Tor's configure script to
disable the part that decides not to use threads on NetBSD.

--apb (Alan Barrett)