Subject: Re: gethostbyname_r() ?
To: None <tgen@netphreax.net>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/17/2006 14:51:57
--------------enig87B4DD522320D99E7F4C95AA

Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
>> [...]
>> So rather than threading on these platforms, we
>> made Tor fork new processes. This means you need way more memory to ru=
>> a Tor server, especially an exit server. If you want to run a Tor
>> server, we recommend you upgrade to a better OS."
>> [...]
>=20
> If Tor soups up that many threads cq. processes, it sounds like a very
> wrong design decision, they should use an event loop instead. So the
> 'upgrade to a better OS' is completely out of line.

   That comment is out of line regardless, imho. OS advocacy should not
be in a TOR wiki. But maybe that's just me.

   Anyway, it turns out they are building an DNS resolver into the
application which will be used instead of the operating system function.

   I'm curious though, what is meant by an "event loop" in this context?
Link to relevant documentation?

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson