Subject: Re: bin/33923: slattach(8) can't attach sl(4) interface
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/08/2006 19:56:56
--b1ERR0FXR0PvNIRE

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:49:48AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Jul 8, 10:35am, cube@cubidou.net (Quentin Garnier) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: bin/33923: slattach(8) can't attach sl(4) interface
>=20
> |  sl(4) does have SLIOCGUNIT, so slattach has a way to tell which sl(4)
> |  device it was bound to.  Having the interface automatically created is
> |  just a matter of having slopen() do it, just like pppopen() calls
> |  pppalloc().
> | =20
>=20
> Yes, most of the code can be stolen from ppp. It would be nice if it was
> shared too (since we'll have 3 copies if we fix strip). Why don't you
> take a stab at it?

By the way, as I have never used sl(4) nor strip(4), I wonder what
clonification changed, beside the fact that the user has to create the
interface by hand.  My reading of slattach.c seems to indicate that
currently (and independently from the fact that sl(4) is clonable) there
is no way to tell for sure which interface it has attached to.

Am I correct?

[Moved to tech-net because it's not really related to the PR anymore.]

--=20

--b1ERR0FXR0PvNIRE

--b1ERR0FXR0PvNIRE--