Subject: Consistent vnlock dead locks in low memory conditions
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/22/2006 09:59:30
I have a file server that used to operate fairly reliably with 1GB of
RAM.  A few weeks ago the memory tested bad and the system would not
boot, however the only known spares available were two 128MB modules
giving me 256MB of ram.  Since bringing the server up with this
amount of ram, I am able to achieve multiple vnlock-deadlocks
scenarios on a daily basis.  These cannot be recovered from and the
system must be hardware reset.  The kernel is 2.1 and the a single
file system is being served via NFS with imapd, teapop and sendmail
processes accessing it.  It appears that the nfsd processes are the
first to vnlock deadlock, which then cascade and are unstoppable.  An
interesting thing to note is that the system seems stable when it is
freshly booted and barely using swap, but
once it gets deeper into swap the dead lock becomes eminent.  Since
this problem only occurred every 2 to 3 weeks
with 1GB of ram and now is happening 2 to 3 times a day with 256MB of
ram, I thought it might be a good time to start having a kernel
expert investigate.