Subject: Re: 3.0 YP lookup latency
To: Stephen M. Jones <smj@cirr.com>
From: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/21/2006 20:42:25
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:44:28PM -0500, Stephen M. Jones wrote:
> Jonathan recommended:
>
> > > use the supplied default nsswitch.conf
> > >
> > > 	passwd:  compat
> > >
> > > line, but instead use
> > >
> > > 	passswd: nis [notfound=return] files
>
> This has resolved my issue without any adverse affects.  I'm not exactly
> clear on what the trade off is on either configuration.  As noted by
> others, there definitely is a bug with the default option which surfaces
> with larger installations running 3.x.  For now, I'm fine with the second
> config option, which seems to work as expected.

Except the configuration above is not equivalent to compat.  Unless
my understanding of the inner workings of nsswitch are wrong the
above makes nis authoritative.  The file will almost never be
consulted.  Also compat is used for more than just the simple bare
'+' entry (include everything) at the end of passwd.  Compat is
also used for +user and -user entries.  The + (include everything)
form can be emulated by "passwd:  files nis" in nsswitch.conf.