Subject: Re: How to use properly ipv6 autoconf over a router interface?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/05/2006 03:37:29
> Most business-grade hotels in the US provide high-speed Internet.

Well, they claim to.  Far too many of them actually provide
medium-speed Web browsing and not much more.  Practically all of them
demand a Web client, far too often a Web client supporting such
security disasters as JavaScript, on the user's device, which is too
crippled for me to honestly call it Internet connectivity.
(Fortunately, this may start changing with mass-market penetration of
devices, eg IP phones, that do IP but don't have general-purpose Web
clients on them.)

> It's rare to find global addresses in use in such places, but
> business travelers are major users of IPsec VPNs.  Does the IETF (a)
> make IPsec NAT-compatible (for VPNs; there are deeper issues for
> non-VPN uses of IPsec); or (b) write off that market and by extension
> much of the user base for IPsec?

Honestly, I'd prefer (b), though I disagree with the slant lurking in
your choice of phrasing.  When something is broken - like NAT - I very
much prefer to render it *obviously* broken.  Nothing else seems to
stand any chance of getting it fixed, and even that works depressingly
seldom.

In this example, unless and until those business users start demanding
civilized network connections, hotels will continue offering crap.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign