Subject: Re: How to use properly ipv6 autoconf over a router interface?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/05/2006 03:45:17
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 05:44:58PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:09:13 +0000, Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Seems like RSIP (RFC 3102-3105) could work well here.
> >
> RSIP is a form of NAT.  It's cleaner and better than traditional NAT, but
> it is NAT-like.  Also note that the protocols are experimental, not
> standards track.  I don't think anyone has tried to use them with v6.

I know it is NAT-like.  Why the hangup with experimental?  NAT
isn't on the standards track either, its informational, and that
hasn't stopped its wide spread adoption.  My understanding from
one of the RSIP authors is that it was made experimental so as to
not be seen as an alternative to wide spread IPv6 adoption.

I'm not aware of any v6 RSIP implementations either.  And I've only
seen one Linux v4 RSIP implementation.  A BSD version might make a
good SoC project.

- Brian