Subject: Re: routes being deleted when they shouldn't be
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/25/2006 10:00:04
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:49:00 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse
<mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> > A 'route delete default some-addr' is deleting default routes to
> > other addresses:
>
> I think this is not restricted to default routes; when you delete a
> route, you delete a route to a destination, not a route to a
> destination via a gateway.
>
> Certainly that's how my experience has worked.

Quite plausible, though I didn't try it.  In that case, though,
'route delete' shouldn't take two arguments.  More precisely, if it's
going to use two arguments, it should validate the second if present.
That is, I have no objection to both

	route delete foo

and

	route delete foo bar

working, but the latter should succeed if and only if the route to foo
goes via bar.