Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Wifi Browser / Kismet clone
To: oliver gould <ogould@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Ricardo Correia Pinto <rncp@rnl.ist.utl.pt>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/22/2006 00:36:46
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, oliver gould wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  - A quick search through the archives produced a few interesting
>    discussions on the Wifi Browser from last summer, however I couldn't
>    find any indication that any progress was made in the way of
>    implementing it.  Is this the case?

	I started implementing it, as can be see in [1]. I was also
thinking of applying this year to the same project, but using a different
approach [2] (or a pdf file in [3], since latex2html doesn't have a
beautiful output). Would someone please comment it?
Maybe I should post the specs in the list instead?

>  - Considering that a Wifi Browser would provide a subset of the
>    functionality that Kismet (or a Kismet-like application) provides, is
>    there any specific reason why these projects are listed seperately?

	I guess is because the browser is intended as a configuration
aiding tool, instead of "debugging" like kismet.

>  - My initial thoughts on designing either these are to use Radiotap
>    headers for detection, the proper ioctls for management, and curses
>    for the UI.  Can anyone point me to other interfaces that may be
>    useful?

	Basically net80211 layer, curses/CDK for the GUI. You can also use
OMAPI for dhclient configuration (I guess it will be necessary, since you
almost surely need some dynamic IP configuration).

[1] http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rncp/NetBSD/wifi.html
[2] http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rncp/software/SoC06/proposal/
[3] http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rncp/software/SoC06/proposal/proposal.pdf

        -- Ricardo Correia Pinto