Subject: Re: a stupid question about ethernet addresses
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/06/2006 14:44:10
In message <87ek0alcg0.fsf@phi.internal.fnop.net>Rui Paulo writes
>jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu writes:

>>>If I understad you correctly you are asking what should a system do if
>>>it recives a packet with the same src and dst MAC address ?
>>>Then I guess, it should be dropped.
>>
>> Rui,
>>
>> I can't see any reason why such packets should be dropped, given that
>> the local host decided to emit them?.
>
>I didn't understand that they were emitted by the local host. My
>mistake.

Oh, not necessarily your mistake at all.  It's more that I don't see
how a network stack or driver can distinguish the odd-but-legal case
of a self-addressed MAC frame, from case where a remote host sends a
packet to the local MAC but with the same MAC as a (spoofed) source
MAC address (which I confess I didn't really consider).

I deal regularly with multi-homed machines with mutilple interfaces,
all on the same Ethernet domain. Think about the implications of
trying to filter based on "is this source MAC address one of my local
MACs?", and consider multicast and broadcast traffic. That'll give you
some sense of where I'm coming from.

I concede that's a rather unusual viewpoint :-/.