Subject: Re: mutating IPv4 aliases on NetBSD 2 systems
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/24/2006 15:54:40
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:05:24PM +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> By default, wol(1) sends the packet to 255.255.255.255 - what causes
> trouble in my case because the interface's first address has a /32
> netmask. Thus the packet was sent the local host... After restart,
> when the first address had its correct /28 netmask again, this worked
> again of course.

You have severely misconfigured your system.  It is hard to imagine
what sane meaning it could possibly have to have two host addresses
on the same physical segment with different -- but overlapping --
netmasks.

If you got such an example from the FreeBSD handbook, it's quite simply
wrong.  You should tell the maintainers so they can fix it.

You can configure additional host addresses on lo0 with a /32 netmask
if you wish.