Subject: Re: mutating IPv4 aliases on NetBSD 2 systems
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/24/2006 15:03:02
joerg@britannica.bec.de --> tech-net (2006-02-24 14:21:33 +0100):
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:51:04PM +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> > Hmm, this is not what I had expected! Notice the addresses don't match
> > the configuration: 212.254.26.75 is an alias now, and 212.254.26.66
> > is not an alias anymore! At least the netmasks and broadcast addresses
> > did not change...
>
> Why do they not match the configuration? The kernel doesn't really have
> a concept of "aliases", just multiple addresses on an interface. I'm not

OK, I didn't know that. So they probably do match.

> sure why the order changed, but a program which depends on the order is
> clearly buggy.

I don't know whether wol(1) depends on that order or not, but I can
still reproduce the problem: running tcpdump while running wol on the
host I restarted today shows the magic packet (UDP to broadcast address,
port 40k); on the other host tcpdump doesn't show it. And I bet it
would be shown if I restarted the system...

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~