Subject: Re: (Somewhat OT) Re: INET6 in GENERIC
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@yahoo.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/23/2006 21:53:39
Actually, I was just noticing that I mentioned Japan, and you mentioned
the US Millitary.  The Japanese government won't acquire products that
don't have v6 capability after 2008.  It slipped by me that the U.S.
millitary was pushing for v6 in 2008 as well.  The new US Mil smart card
sign-on program has already thrown my executives into a panic.  :)

Incidentally, is there some easily reached documentation on that 2008 US
Mil v6 push?  I would like to reference that.

Thanks,

-Scott-

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Ken Hornstein wrote:

>> } Japan has a government mandate for IPv6 services with a drop dead date in
>> } the relatively short future.  There are a few other countries that have
>> } followed suit.  That has always been my leverage with management.
>>
>>     I'm not sure if I have the year right, but I think it is 2008 that
>> the US military will be switching to IPv6.  This could push things
>> along.
>
> AFAIK, that date is the date set for when everything should _support_
> IPv6.  I don't believe there is a date set for when IPv4 should be
> turned off.  But those dates have a tendancy to slip.
>
> --Ken, member of the military-industrial-entertainment complex

---

J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@yahoo.com>

Public  Key: http://www.jsk.homeunix.net:7777/jsk/JSK-GPG-Key.asc
Fingerprint: C0BE 2C0E 10E0 8277 F781  07C2 FCD6 99EF 4C8A 3EA0