Subject: Re: (Somewhat OT) Re: INET6 in GENERIC
To: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
From: J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@yahoo.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/22/2006 23:23:28
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:

> The number of $ 0.5 million seems a lot to me, but I guess you have
> experience with that. I'm no corporate guy :). But still, do you think the
> argument still holds that developing for IPv6 now is cheaper than stacking
> hack on hack on hack for the next X years?

Yes, I'm a strong v6 supporter - for all those reasons.  I've argued the
case in 3 companies now.  It is a really tough job.  That's why it is not
more pervasive than it is.  I was just giving everyone a glimpse into why
we don't have it.

> That smells of the often-seen lack of knowledge of manager types (Dilbert
> anyone?).

Lack of knowledge is part of it.  But the other part is that execs don't
weigh the cost/benfit the same as engineers, or even users.

---

J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@yahoo.com>

Public  Key: http://www.jsk.homeunix.net:7777/jsk/JSK-GPG-Key.asc
Fingerprint: C0BE 2C0E 10E0 8277 F781  07C2 FCD6 99EF 4C8A 3EA0