Subject: Re: (Somewhat OT) Re: INET6 in GENERIC
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/22/2006 04:43:54
> Yup, the fact is the US still has a sizeable reserve of
> unused/unallocated IPv4 addresses.

It's not US, but it's North American - at a past job, we had two /16s
(real class B space, as it happens).  They once had me do a scan of how
much of that address space responded.

About two percent of the addresses answered.

Of course, we can all think of possible reasons why that could be an
overestimate or underestimate of the amount of space actually used.
But given the year and the organization, I don't think it was off by
much - I'd be totally astonished if the actual use rate wasn't in the
1%-5% range.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign