Subject: Re: netbooting across two switches
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/22/2006 02:12:32
--------------enig3E9FECB54ABBD8311697846D

Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:18:21PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>>I've tried to configure 'ip helper address' on cat4506 and made sure to
>>'enable bootprelay' on the Summit
> If they're all in the one flat vlan, you want all these settings *off*

Yes, make sure they're in the same subnet. However, it might be that the
switches have some added 'protection' against these kinds of broadcasts
(DHCP). It might be a simple packet filter rule to drop any broadcast
originating outside of the switch, even though it originates from a
machine in the same subnet. However, I have no knowledge of either Cisco
or Extreme Networks (default?) switch configurations.

Hope this helps,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net