Subject: Re: an driver woes
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/09/2006 09:57:23
Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I have a machine with an 802.11 card that probes as:
>
>   Aironet Wireless Communications MPI350 Mini-PCI Wireless LAN Adapter
>
> but the "an" device does not attach it. I noted that this particular
> variant wasn't listed in the driver.
>
> Since similarly numbered parts seem to be fine, I wondered if the
> issue was just the lack of the right values in if_an_pci.c. I
> added it to the probe, but the result is:
>
>   an0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: Aironet Wireless Communications MPI350 Mini-PCI Wireless LAN Adapter
>   pci_io_find: expected type i/o, found mem
>   an0: unable to map registers
>
> Anyone have any information or ideas? Is this part incompatible? Is
> there stuff we need to pull from FreeBSD to make it work? Is there
> something else wrong?
>
> Perry

Hmmm... maybe they actually got smart and moved some of the registers
into memory space.  (Folks have been recommending device mfgs to avoid
IO space for registers for years now because of the crowding in the very
limited PC IO space.)

Try changing line 137 of if_an_pci.c so that instead of
PCI_MAPREG_TYPE_IO it is PCI_MAPREG_TYPE_MEM.  Maybe that will help.
Just a thought.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191