Subject: sendmail problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org, tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/24/2006 09:48:37
   Hi.  I need some help.  I've recently upgraded my mail server from
NetBSD 2.1,
running sendmail 8.13.3 from pkgsrc; to running NetBSD 3.0 and sendmail
8.13.5 (from pkgsrc-2005Q4).  This is on a sparc64, in case that
matters.

   Previously, I had configured my mail server to have an alternet
address from
the main address of the host, both for IPv4 and IPv6.  I had
configured the
DaemonPortOptions as:

O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet, Addr=mail.distal.com
O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6, Addr=mail.distal.com

   and this worked just fine.  Now, when I start up sendmail, I get
the following
error(s):

Jan 24 09:30:13 hostname sm-mta[8831]: starting daemon (8.13.5): SMTP
+queueing@00:30:00
Jan 24 09:30:13 hostname sm-mta[8831]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA-v6: cannot bind: Invalid argument
Jan 24 09:30:13 hostname sm-mta[8831]: daemon MTA-v6: problem
creating SMTP socket
Jan 24 09:30:13 hostname sm-mta[8831]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA-v6: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

   It looks like resolution is doing the wrong thing somehow.  Not
getting the
IPv6 address of "mail.distal.com", but perhaps getting the IPv4
address, or
something else.

   What surprises me is that it did work, with a slightly earlier
version of sendmail
on NetBSD 2.1 on the same machine, with the same config in DNS and on
the
interfaces of the machine.

   Does anyone have any idea what's gone on here?

   If I insert the IPv6 address into the relevant line of sendmail.cf
(instead of leaving
Addr=mail.distal.com), sendmail comes up and works just fine.  So,
it's clearly
some sort of resolution problem...

   Thanks.  Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions...

                                          - Chris