Subject: Re: ath(4) with WEP and dhclient (not working)
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Dheeraj Reddy <dheerajr@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2006 15:54:22
On 1/20/06, matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com> wrote:
> My guess is that if you got to look at the dhcp server, it would say
> that you were sending slightly malformed packets.  Can you do a
> comparison of a captured DISCOVER from all of your cards (plus others
> on the network) and try to see the differences.  (a byte count might
> be sufficient enough to see the problem)
>
> See if you can compare what you find with what's mentioned in RFC2131
> section 4.3.1 should help.
>
> On 1/20/06, Dheeraj Reddy <dheerajr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >    I am trying to use an Airlink 101 card with the atheros superG
> > chipset.  For some reason, I am unable to get an address using
> > dhclient.
> > # ifconfig ath0 nwid <SSID> nwkey 0x1234567890 up
> > # dhclient ath0
> >
> > just keeps discovering.
> >
> > This is with current as of a couple of days ago.
> >
> > ath0 at cardbus0 function 0
> > ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
> > ath0: 11g rates: ......<< 1 - 54 Mbps >
> > ath0: tuboG rates:  ... <6- 54 Mbps>
> > ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
> >
> > Using tcpdump with E10MB as the link type shows a bunch of
> > packets from other stations in the SSID. I can see my dhcp requests
> > going through.. but get no responses. I have seen this with atleast
> > two APs. ( a Cisco and a Netgear one)
> >
> > Any suggestions/debugging ideas ? I know that the server is fine since
> > ral(4) and an(4) work just fine.
> >
> > --
> > dheeraj

Ok. I tried switching WEP off. and it all works fine. So to summarize
the problem.

1) Without WEP everything works fine
2) With WEP, outgoing frames are fine, because I can see dhcp
request/reply packets on a netbsd box running a dhcp server correctly.
    But incoming frames are goofed up with WEP (64-bit if that helps).
I tried to configure the interface with static addresses.. but since
arp also fails nothing works.
Is this something to do with software/hardware WEP ?

truly
dheeraj