Subject: Re: rc.conf vs interface aliases
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/18/2006 23:21:26
--0k2ZE0YWsaeoufzj

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:46:39PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> How would that work?  The description in rc.conf(5) does not make it
> appear that it supports the sort of thing I'm after.
>=20
> Here's the functionality I'm talking about, in the form of a patch to
> 3.0's /etc/rc.d/network, network,v 1.47.2.1.  (I may have details such
> as the eval line wrong; this is an untested adaptation of the patch I
> use with 1.4T.)  What should I put in /etc/rc.conf.d/network to get
> such functionality?  It's not obvious to me in the least.
>=20
> [...]

you can define your own function which will add aliases in the way you
require and execute it after network_start() finishes.

in your /etc/rc.conf.d/network:

----8><----

start_postcmd=3D"custom_aliases"

custom_aliases()
{
	echo -n "Adding custom interface aliases:"

        for int in lo0 $configured_interfaces; do
		n=3D1
		while :; do
			eval args=3D\$ifalias_$int\_$n
			if [ -n "$args" ]; then