Subject: Re: vge not working on bigendian, either (was Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/pci)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/30/2005 18:19:48
--------------enigAD40E340A310B4DF7D2AD8EC

Jeff Rizzo wrote:

>The MAC address was fixed by the first patch, yes.  Your second patch
>(to if_vgereg.h) caused the machine to hang when vge0 was brought up.
>
>However, brad@openbsd sent me a private email saying vge(4) works on
>macppc in OpenBSD, so I derived the attached patch from there, and I can
>successfully ping over vge0 on macppc with it when combined with your
>patch to if_vge.c.

I need to correct this - I didn't test very thoroughly the first time.

With these patches, the interface works in promiscuous mode.  (I had a
tcpdump running that I forgot about).

A quick test shows that it doesn't work quite right in an i386 box
either;  I may look into this more tomorrow.

>The PHY that I think is supposed to attach (ciphy, if I read this
>correctly) isn't, though, so I'm going to look through there and see if
>I notice anything preventing that from happening - the ukphy which is
>attaching is only negotiating 100baseTX with the switch.

Turns out this model PHY isn't in ciphy.c right now;  I will be fixing
that shortly.

+j