Subject: Re: A good, cheap, wire-speed PCI-e NIC for NetBSD?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/04/2005 16:57:09
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:43:01AM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>    * The S&K SK-9E22, which is yet another sk/skc combo, of which
>      I vaguely heard Thor commenting about compatibiliity issues
>      with various variants (Marvell? I forget).
>      SysKonnect provides  binary-only FreeBSD-5 drivers, and a
>      Linux source driver from which TSO support could be
>      reverse-engineered into our sk/skc code.

The newer Marvell chips are "Yukon 2/2XL".  The general register layout
and operation of the chip are similar to those of the original Yukon
but they're different enough that a separate driver might make more
sense.  The checksum offload works totally differently, and, as you
note, there's TSO support.

The Linux driver supports every Yukon variant that's ever seen the light
of day and some, AFAICT, that haven't.  So it's a mess.  Still, it is
possible to read between the ifdefs and look at the header files and
see what would be needed to support the newer parts.  They certainly look
nice... it helps that the Linux driver (the Marvell-supplied one, not the
other one, which I think still doesn't support the Y2 chips) has separate
source files containing functions for some of the newer parts.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky