Subject: Re: equivalence to iproute2
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: GPN <gpn.netbsd@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/26/2005 18:26:44
Jonathan wrote:
>>On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:19:52AM +0200, Jonathan wrote:
>>
>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>In Linux, to create a new routing table, add a default route into it
>>>and
>>>tell packets with a specific destination to lookup that default route,
>>>type these commands:
>>>
>>># echo 64 blah >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
>>># ip rule add from a.b.c.d table blah
>>># ip route add default via w.x.y.z table blah
>>># ip route flush cache
>>>
>>>What's the corresponding commands in NetBSD?
>>
>>No idea. What is the _meaning_ of those commands?
>>
>>	-is
>>

> To route all traffic from a.b.c.d via w.x.y.z, not the default gw.

Is the a.b.c.d there the interface (address) on which the packet
arrives?

I could imagine this as a requirement, if somebody wants to support
a popular feature called Virtual Routing. I hope this is what it is.
In that case, there would be virtual routers running in the system,
with each router instance bound to a set of interfaces in the system.
For efficiency of routing, the packets would be tagged with some
tag/index to denote which routing table to refer to.

- GPN