Subject: Re: Intel Gigabit driver wm(4) fiber phy
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Dheeraj S <dheeraj@ece.gatech.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/12/2005 12:35:36
On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:00:40AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2005, at 5:01 AM, Dheeraj S wrote:
>
> >I have since then used the em driver in FreeBSD.(It comes from
> >Intel), and it
> >works very nicely indeed. It seems to be way too different from the
> >NetBSD
> >one. It doesn't even use any mii phy driver at all. Can we import
> >that driver ?
>
> The FreeBSD driver also lacks some platform-independence features
> that are important to NetBSD.  There is little chance that the
> FreeBSD "em" driver will be brought into NetBSD.  The best thing to
> do is to identify and fix the bugs in the NetBSD "wm" driver.
>
> Why don't you try enabling debugging in the wm driver to see what
> state the driver thinks things are in when it fails?  What exactly is
> the mode of failure?  Have you filed a bug report with send-pr?
>
> -- thorpej

I didn't understand your question 'mode of failure'. The interface never goes
to an active state. 'ifconfig wm2 up' doesn't change the status to active.

I assumed that I was doing soemthing wrong, So I didn't send-pr. But now
I just did. kern/31303

Unfortunately, I put FreeBSD on the machine in context to get some job done.
And I may have intermittent access to it for testing.

truly
dheeraj
--
"Nature wants us to react, return blow for blow, cheating for cheating, lie for
lie, and then it requires a Divine power not to hit-back, keep control and