Subject: Re: Memory issue in bind
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/19/2005 14:53:32

--0-608565184-1124455826=:22472

Attached is the patch (based on the patch used in FreeBSD) that should
remedy the below mentioned issue, is it
possible to review it and merge it in if it is descent enough?
Though, importing 9.3.1 would be nice as well, it doesnt resolve the issue
named below but fixes some other important bugs.
Regards,

Mipam.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Mipam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I encountered this on the FreeBSD list:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2005-August/051127.html
>
> It's from august 18th, the message was:
>
> "Update the vendor branch with a patch to this file that was
>   researched by glebius, and incorporated by ISC into the next
>   version of BIND. Unfortunately, it looks like their release
>   will come after the release of FreeBSD 6, so we will bring
>   this in now.
>
>   The patch addresses a problem with high-load resolvers which
>   hit memory barriers. Without this patch, running the resolving
>   name server out of memory would lead to "unpredictable results."
>
>   Of course, the canonical answer to this problem is to put more
>   memory into the system, however that is not always possible, and
>   the code should be able to handle this situation gracefully in
>   any case."
>
> Unfortunatly, i cannot see the patch from isc, but it might be an idea to
> merge it into 9.3.0 until the release of 9.4.0?
> Bye,
>
> Mipam.

--0-608565184-1124455826=:22472
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--0-608565184-1124455826=:22472--