Subject: Re: removal of threading in bind9
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/16/2005 22:53:17
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <20050816101356.GA8654@proton.internal.fnop.net>,
> Rui Paulo  <rpaulo@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>
> >So, what about disabling pthreads on netbsd-3, only ? I don't think
> >that BIND 9.3.1 fixes any of this issues, but I may be wrong.
>
> I am fine with that, provided someone does the necessary testing.

I am running bind 9.3.0 without threads on netbsd-current a couple of days
now. I'll keep running bind like this, because it seems to perform better
this way and surely consumes less memory. Of course, after one or two
weeks
i can say more about it. Only flaw is that i don't run netbsd-3, so i
don't test on that system now, is that mandatory? It would be nice if
other ppl would also compile bind without threads and test as well to have
more input. I can install a new netbsd-3 machine with bind without threads enabled and
run it for a couple of weeks and see. The machine will serve as name
server for about 100 hosts then. Would such be satisfatory or? What
kind of input do you need back from me/us to evaluate results? Bye,

Mipam.