Subject: Re: 6to4: reverse resolution, advocacy?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/10/2005 12:11:28
--6aLNMpa4RfPduGT7

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:12:47PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> I set up 6to4 on my gateway last night [..]
> It all went quickly and easily. I was impressed.

Yeah, it's pretty useful, at least in as far as v6 is useful yet.

> I can connect to netbsd.org through 6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com.  I get
> decent ping times and interactive performance is fine.

You should consider using the automagic (BGP anycast) gateway address
(2002:c058:6301::, see RFC 3068)

> I am wondering what people do about reverse DNS for their 6to4 numbers?

Pretty much "shake my head in disappointment and give it up as too hard".

> I have also read that *in principle*, one can get a
> 2.0.0.2.ip6.int. delegation, but I have not found any public 6to4
> gateway that has bothered.

It's not the gateway that would do it; the address in question is the
v4 address embedded in your 2002: (ie, your stf interface); the
public gateway provides connectivity from 2002: to the rest of the
real v6 net only.

The best answer I can see for how it might be done takes that address
and uses its v4 delegation to imply a v6 2002: delegation (since
they're the same ownership by definition), but I see no implementation
of that appearing at the other end of any 2.0.0.2.ipv6.int. NS target.
Maybe its coming, I've stopped paying attention; sure seems like you
didn't find one though.

> What can one do *in practice* to get reverse DNS?  What can one person
> do to pressure the "powers that be" to provide this service for 6to4?

*shrug* It seems to be blocked on politics, in the argument that its
absence is an incentive to migrate fully to 'real' v6.  I see
disagreement and the argument that its just as much a disincentive to
even start, if anything, but that's politics for you.

--
Dan.
--6aLNMpa4RfPduGT7

--6aLNMpa4RfPduGT7--