Subject: 6to4: reverse resolution, advocacy?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/09/2005 19:12:47
I set up 6to4 on my gateway last night, using Hubert Feyrer's instructions
for NetBSD.  I also set up IPv6 router advertisements and such, got a
couple of hosts auto-configured, etc.  It all went quickly and easily.
I was impressed.

I can connect to netbsd.org through 6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com.  I get
decent ping times and interactive performance is fine.

I am wondering what people do about reverse DNS for their 6to4 numbers?
I read, on the web, a lengthy exchange between IAB and IANA concerning
delegation of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.  Apparently, IANA has delegated to ARIN
and friends, but there is not yet a process by which I can get a piece
of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. delegated by my ISP.  There are folks' slideshows
and RFCs that describe how it *might* be done.  I have also read that
*in principle*, one can get a 2.0.0.2.ip6.int. delegation, but I have
not found any public 6to4 gateway that has bothered.

What can one do *in practice* to get reverse DNS?  What can one person
do to pressure the "powers that be" to provide this service for 6to4?

Dave