Subject: Re: tap(4) + bridge(4) + OpenVPN advice sought
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/11/2005 00:02:34
--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:44:16AM +0300, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20050711010159.GA21613@endersgame.net>,
> Sean Davis  <dive-nb@endersgame.net> wrote:
> >-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-
> >
> >I've got a server hosted in the datacenter at which I work, and I would =
like
> >to bridge it (over an encrypted vpn, of course), into my home LAN. At the
> >moment, my main thought is to use OpenVPN, bridge(4) and tap(4), but I've
> >never done this before, so I'm looking for suggestions. The server at ho=
me
> >that will be running the home side of the bridge is running NetBSD 3.99.=
7,
> >and the server at work is running Debian 3.1.
> >
> >If anyone has done this before and wants to offer some pointers, I would
> >greatly appreciate it.
>=20
> I just use ipsec with racoon.

Won't I still need a tap(4) & bridge(4) to make the Linux host appear on the
home (NetBSD) LAN?

Basically, I have:

Linux host @ hosting provider: 64.34.xx.xx

Home LAN: 192.168.1.xx

I'd like to make the Linux box appear as, say, 192.168.1.99, to machines in
the home LAN. Only way I'm currently aware of to do this is bridge(4), which
would require tap(4) in order to bridge to a remote host. The ipsec could go
between the tap on the NetBSD side and the tap on the Linux side, I suppose.

I was more looking for examples... I know it can be done, but I was hoping
someone would point out how it has been done :-)

-Sean

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--