Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Policy routing / Implement IPv6 ipflow_fastforward
From: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/17/2005 13:28:36
On 6/17/05, Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
>=20
> Welcome to NetBSD, Ivo!
>=20
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> > After all, IMHO, these projects are supposed to make CS students
> > familiar with NetBSD and optionally gain some ideas or implement some
> > feature. I doubt someone expects proffesional level in design and
> > algorithms or 100% bug free implementation.
>=20
> I think it would be a waste of everyones time to do the SoC project with =
> sub-standard goal in mind, only to justify its existance but which gets
> thrown away later. Instead, I'd rather see only a proper(!) design
> document only, that others can work on from.

I agree. But I have to admit that I probably lack all the experience I
need. I can only promise to do my best :). BTW routing is area of
knowledge I'm very interested in (That's why I choose that project).
To assure you I have some knowledge, and I'm serious about full
realisation the project, I should say I've been job offered by BATM
(http://www.batm.com/) for the position of System Developer in their
R&D center in Bulgaria.

> As such, Jonathan (leaving out the aggrssion) gave some interesting point=
> here, together with even some pointers for reading up on the matter, whic=
> someone interested in the matter should probably follow, and then work

I'm reading them now ...

> with NetBSD's people (or maybe just one, his SoC mentor) on the design
> and implementation.
>=20
> I think for NetBSD, the design document should be reviewed.
> I'm not sure this should happen in all its length for the SoC project, as
> it would burn a lot of time while work on an initial prototype could be
> done instead.
=20
For the needs of coordination, explanation and documentation design
document is a must. Unfortunately, this can be accomplished in a
long-term project. So I guess it'd be better to stick with the
documenting the project along side it's  implementation.

However, if my application is approved by Google/NetBSD, I'll follow
the mentors advices.

>=20
>   - Hubert
>=20

--=20
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
genius to understand the simplicity." Dennis Ritchie