Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Policy routing / Implement IPv6 ipflow_fastforward
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/14/2005 12:52:34
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:56:12PM +0200, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
>
> > Send your ideas, proposals & questions here so interested people can chime
> > in. You'll still have to submit your proposal to Google.
> >

> >   - Hubert
> >
> Ideas on both projects:
>
> Policy Routing:
> - extend "struct rtentry" to include additional information for TOS
> fields, Source based routing, maybe even protocol based routing, ttl
> routing, packet lenght routing

IMO, these are the bare minimum fields we must be able to route by:

        * ToS field
        * protocol/port number
        * packet length
        * packet labels (tokens attached to a packet by IPFilter, pf,
          or the input interface---e.g., m_pkthdr.rcvif)

A good solution should be easily extensible.  And fast.  A big question in
my mind is, "what is the architecture of fast, extensible policy routing?"
How is this (not) accomplished in other systems?

Dave