Subject: Summer of Code: Policy routing
To: tech-net <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: =?gb2312?B?uvruow==?= <hurui@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/14/2005 22:47:38
Hello all,

I want to apply for this projects in Google's Summer of
Code. According to http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html i
should use this mailing list as a contact location to NetBSD
developers. So I want to ask should I contact exact someone or
communicate over/with the list. Also I'd like to ask for more details
on the projects.

Thank you in advance.

Next is my short proposal,thank you for checking it.
Name:
Rui Hu

Email:
hurui@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

Background
As a graduate student, I'm interested in doing software design and development work, my research domain is Network Security and related development. In my research and study, I have learned much about network principles and technologies, such as TCP/IP, NAT, and network programming, I also have developed some network and system software such as system network traffic filtering, system mail handling and so on. In these projects I have accumulated network knowledge and some software development experience. I think these are great helps for this project.
I know this summer code project from my classmates, I think the project is a good practice for me, and I also have confidence to accomplish the task goal.

Project Title:
Policy routing

Synopsis:
This project is to design Policy routing in NetBSD platform, which enables the ability to route based on properties like QoS label, source address, etc.

Benefits to the Community
The benefits to the community will be twofold:
1) Policy routing will be implemented, so that NetBSD can perform routing based on different properties. This is a function extension for NetBSD as well as an extension for the community.
2) Other developers in the community will be able to design new algorithms and new software based on it. This will be a small work contributed to the community's software library.

Deliverables
A complete policy routing module which will do complex and flexible routing based on properties.
Some tools of modify the policy and install/uninstall our module.

Project Details
Policy routing will be implemented using the NetBSD's existent network layer function, and will add our own module into it to enable much more complex and flexible functions. Also we will provide some tools to modified the routing policy and install/uninstall our module.

Schedule:
14th June - 30th June: Exam time. I intend to use this time familiaring myself with the NetBSD architecture for network routing.
1st July - 31st July: Create an outline design for the project and implement the core module.
1st August - 31st August: Do experiments to check the module in the real system, so as to find out bugs, make necessary modification and tuning.

Rui Hu
July 14th