Subject: Re: [Summer of Code] WiFi Browser
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/2005 12:19:51
On 6/7/05, Ricardo Pinto <rncp@mega.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>=20
> Hi there!
>=20
> I am interested in this project, so before I apply, I would like to have
> some feedback.
>=20
> - User interface will be done through curses(3), as it has been pointed

ncurses is probably better solution=20

> out before. This is the only way to achieve portability easily and ensure
> that even the most simple install can use this tool. It would also be fin=
e to
> have a simpler output, so that othe applications can use the output of
> this to configure interfaces, record signal strenght, etc.
>=20
> - Features offered by the browser: AP list, with SSID, Encryption,
> channel number, ... (please reply to complete the list)

- Signal/Strength/Noise Monitor (look at my ugly code and screenshot
to get the main idea
http://www.unilans.net/development/projects/wi-mon/wi-mon-1.0.c and
http://www.unilans.net/development/screens/wi-mon/wi-mon.png )
- Current Status
- Dinamic choosing mode/AP/settings (probably a simple config window
in which you fill in the values and they get set immideately to the
hardware)
- "Save to config files" options

> - About hardware access, I think it can be done through ioctl(2), althoug=
> I need a little help in here, because I have never used it. (Is this the
> easiest / most elegant way of doing this?)

ioctl() would be my choise too. Just look at /sbin/ifconfig's code to
see how it's done :)
=20