Subject: Re: default route and private networks
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/25/2005 20:35:33
On Apr 25, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>>> I.e. it is only by convention that these things are called
>>> "aliases".  It's all due to undocumented magic that the semantics
>>> are
>>> the way they are.
>>>

> If you mean my use of alias, I really meant SIOCSIFALIAS or whatever
> it was calld. Unless, as above, I am suffering a Senior Moment here.

I seem to recall that SIOCSIFALIAS was just a brutal hack.
SIOCSIFADDR would replace the "first" address on the list with the
one specified, and they needed a new ioctl that would simply "add" to
the list.

Maybe it's me who is having a Senior Moment (ahem), but that's what I
remember...

-- thorpej