Subject: Re: default route and private networks
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/2005 11:24:37
On Apr 23, 2005, at 12:51 AM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Try intsead to articulate what you *actually* want.

Let me articulate what *I* want, in abstract terms, so we can get
away from the implementation details.

I want the source address of an outgoing packet to have the same
"scope" as the destination address, when possible.

Let me provide some examples:

If I am talking to an IPv4 link local address (e.g. zeroconf), then I
want the source address to be my IPv4 link local address.  If I don't
have a link local address, then obviously I have to pick something
else as the source address.

If I am not talking to an IPv4 link local address, then I do not want
to pick my IPv4 link local address as the source address.  If I only
have an IPv4 link local address, then obviously I have to use it, and
hope that my NAT does the right thing (e.g. a zeroconf wireless
network where the base station NATs the wireless IPv4 link local
addresses to a routable address).

-- thorpej