Subject: Re: problems reconnecting via PPPoE
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n_C=2E?= <ccatrian@eml.cc>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/20/2005 19:47:33
--7/n32iUg2MEZqnOh

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:32:19PM -0400, C=E9sar Catri=E1n C. wrote:
[...]
> > >=20
> > > The pppoa2 program talks only PPPoA to the modem_run program (the USB=
 modem=20
> > > driver), and at the same time it offers an ethernet like interface fo=
r use with=20
> > > our PPP implementation for the authentication, etc.
> > >=20
> > > net/speedtouch out of the box uses net/userppp to work, and userppp a=
ccept the=20
> > > output of pppoa2 piped as a device in the config file. But I wanted t=
o use=20
> > > native PPP.
> >=20
> > But userppp and pppoe are very different things.  The kernel equivalent
> > of userppp is ppp(4) and the userland equivalent of pppoe(4) is
> > rp-pppoe.  The fact that your current setup works (with its drawbacks,
> > but still) means that you're actually doing PPPoEoA (that is, with an
> > added Ethernet layer).  If userppp can work with your DSL installation,
> > you'd better try using ppp(4) if you want the native implementation,
> > because involving Ethernet in this only brings trouble, notably with
> > tht MTU.
>=20
> The main reason I quit using userppp was for the MTU issues, problems whi=
le
> setting the default route, etc.

What MTU issues with userppp?  I don't know any, and compared to the
whole mess PPPoE is about it...

> So I looked at ppp(4), but doesn't allow to specify a program (pppoa2) as=
 a device
> as userppp does. And at the same time, pppoa2 provides bridging option (-=
b) to=20

Sure it does.  pppd pty "my program".

> use a ethernet interface. The rest was to use native PPPoE with my setup.

Well, I strongly advise you to avoid PPPoE at all cost.  userppp simply
_cannot_ be as bad as having to use PPPoE.

If you want, I can have a look at making net/speedtouch work with
ppp(4).  I know that last time I tried (about 3 years ago...), it
didn't work for some strange reason I couldn't properly investigate,
and userppp was working reasonably enough for me.  However, its lack
of support to maintain the link with LCP Echo packets is annoying,
which is a good reason to switch to pppd(8).

--=20

--7/n32iUg2MEZqnOh

--7/n32iUg2MEZqnOh--