Subject: Re: problems reconnecting via PPPoE
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: =?UTF-8?Q?C=C3=A9sar_Catri=C3=A1n?= C. <ccatrian@eml.cc>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/20/2005 13:32:19
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:11:28 +0200
Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:55:04PM -0400, César Catrián C. wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:06:21 +0200
> > Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net> wrote:

> > > If it talks PPPoA to the modem, then why would it offer a PPPoE interface
> > > instead of directly a PPP interface?  This looks completely bogus.
> >
> > The pppoa2 program talks only PPPoA to the modem_run program (the USB modem
> > driver), and at the same time it offers an ethernet like interface for use with
> > our PPP implementation for the authentication, etc.
> >
> > net/speedtouch out of the box uses net/userppp to work, and userppp accept the
> > output of pppoa2 piped as a device in the config file. But I wanted to use
> > native PPP.
>
> But userppp and pppoe are very different things.  The kernel equivalent
> of userppp is ppp(4) and the userland equivalent of pppoe(4) is
> rp-pppoe.  The fact that your current setup works (with its drawbacks,
> but still) means that you're actually doing PPPoEoA (that is, with an
> added Ethernet layer).  If userppp can work with your DSL installation,
> you'd better try using ppp(4) if you want the native implementation,
> because involving Ethernet in this only brings trouble, notably with
> tht MTU.

The main reason I quit using userppp was for the MTU issues, problems while
setting the default route, etc.

So I looked at ppp(4), but doesn't allow to specify a program (pppoa2) as a device
as userppp does. And at the same time, pppoa2 provides bridging option (-b) to
use a ethernet interface. The rest was to use native PPPoE with my setup.

César