Subject: Re: UDP problems with NetBSD 3.0_BETA
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/13/2005 22:43:36
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 02:39:35PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >And that fixed the problem. But why is that necessary?
> Because someone decided to implement the bogus ``optimization'' of not
> doing transport-level checksums for packets routed over local-loopback
> interfaces.

I understand what the optimization is for. But I don't understand why
it affects packets send out over the wire.

> If it were up to me, I'd simply back out this ``optimization':

Yes, that should be done unless somebody comes up with a fix. As it is
it will make NetBSD's network appear unreliable because it is hard
to figure what is causing such problems.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/