Subject: RE: Verizon EVDO and NetBSD ugensa Driver
To: Matt Watts <matt@wattscomputers.com>
From: Edward B. Dreger <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/30/2005 15:56:42
MW> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:20:59 -0500
MW> From: Matt Watts

[adding tech-net to CC list]

MW> I've been following this thread and have successfully compiled the
MW> patch. What I'm thinking might be a better solution is to write some
MW> glue code between pppd and the generic ugen driver. For one, I

How would that work?  I'm no device driver or USB expert; I simply stole
Roland's work and made it compile/function for me on 2-0-RELEASE. :-)

How does the kernel handle pccard and USB devices disappearing?  Would
having some sort of intelligent ugensa_methods.ucom_close() help?  I've
not examined the source enough, but I'd guess ucom_close() would be
called to clean up when the device is disconnected.  Perhaps I should
look at umass(4) for an example of something that needs orderly cleanup
when the device vanishes.

Would such glue even be necessary?  The current driver presents the
serial interface via ttyU<#>, which IMHO is quite clean.  It appears the
USB code is a series of interface definitions, with ugensa conforming to
the ucom(4) interface.

Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong or confused.

MW> have noticed that the 5220 card will at times become unresponsive
MW> requiring a system reboot.  Two, I noticed that Sierra Wireless now

Hmmmm.  I've noticed IP pauses when the card [presumably] goes into
"dormant mode", but the only system hang I've had is when I ejected the
card while active.  See above ucom_close() questions.

MW> has a SDK for their 580 card which is very similar to the Audiovox
MW> (AirPrime) 5220 card.  My thought in all this is that is should be

Cool!

MW> possible to write a more specific (better overall functionality)
MW> interface to the 5220 and 580 cards--something that can easily
MW> monitor the signal quality, activate the card and reset the card
MW> when it locks up.  With NetBSD used in many embedded environments,

I honestly didn't know about the SDK.  AFAI knew, the management
functions were secret and unavailable.  If I understand correctly, one
would add ugensa_methods.ucom_ioctl() and a userland program to send the
proper ioctls.

Does anyone know what Venturi's compression is?  (Maybe I should RTFSDK
before asking...)  AFAICT, pppstats indicates there's no compression;
I'd have to brush up on ppp before looking at any negotiation dumps.

MW> the possibility for using one of these wireless cards in a NetBSD
MW> powered office router seems more likely.  And with Verizon

s/router/firewall/ -- VZW prohibits sharing Internet connections IIRC

MW> Wireless' plan to have EVDO implemented across their entire
MW> network by the end of the year, it might be a good time to get
MW> the ball rolling.

Indeed.  I've not made it to EVDO territory on NetBSD, yet; simply
having RTT when I'm between { client sites | home | cities } has been
nice.  On Windows, EVDO was notably faster than RTT, so I'd think many
a fellow roaming geek would love a solid, stable EVDO-on-NetBSD setup.

MW> Comments, suggestions?

Inline above. :-)

Eddy
--