Subject: Re: peculiar ICMP redirects?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <ww@styx.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/22/2005 22:01:47
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:54:16PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> I've just set up 2.0 on a machine at work and I'm having trouble.
>
> I want a setup like this:

<snip details about carving a subnet out of a big flat network>

I'm not sure why you would really want to do this -- is there
really no alternative but to lay out the network this way?

Anyways it looks like what is happening is the router trying to
do proxy arp is (correctly) considering a /32 (the arp entry)
be a more specific route than the /29, and the /32 refers to
itself, so it balks. That said sending out an icmp redirect to
itself is almost certainly the wrong thing to do in this situation
(icmp ttl-exceeded might be more correct).

> I've
> seen when doing proxy ARP on 1.4T; I tried adding "proxy" to the arp
> command and it makes no apparent difference - both "netstat -rn -f
> inet" and "arp -na" look the same, and the (mis)behaviour is the same.

You might try, since the subnet is so small, putting individual
host routes to match the proxy arp entries. It looks like arp puts
a network route, and host routes seem to take precedence. (What is
the real difference between a host route and a /32 anyway?).

-w